A disaster occurred in the kitchen the other day:
I was pleasantly making dinner- the January 2007 Bon Appetit's Pasta with Chicken, Curly Endive and Blue Cheese. The pasta in this dish was gnocchi. I have very little experience with gnocchi except that I used to pronounce it incorrectly, someone laughed at me, and now out of shame and embarrassment I can pronounce gnocchi (no-key). Anyway I had finished the chicken and onion saute sauce, and I turned off the sauce burner- I knew the sauce needed to be completely done because the gnocchi only took 15-30 seconds of cooking time. So I drop the gnocchi into my boiling, salted water, and I go to move the pan that contains the sauce...
with my bare hands.
I got the pan about an inch off the stove, dropped it from the shock of the heat, and while trying to make sure it didn't spill, I plunged my knuckles onto the electric burner I just turned off.
I rushed my hand under cold water. Awe. Relief. Yet after about 20 seconds of this I realized that my gnocchi was still in the boiling water and had been for about 1 minute! Crap! I quickly drained my gnocchi as fasts as my burned knuckle would let me and saw the horrific sight of little gluey, oozing, dumplings in my colander.
At this point I decided that I would just pretend like nothing would happen.
I mixed in the sauce and the blue cheese and served it up.
"I thought we were having pasta tonight." Felix remarked as he rooted around on his plate.
Well, what the pasta had turned into was the sauce. So instead of gnocchi with chicken, we were eating chicken with a thick pasty white sauce.